1. Place the Mei Tai on a soft seat with the short (waist) straps at the bottom and all straps spread out
2. Sit baby on the Mei Tai about one quarter of the way from the bottom of the Mei Tai body.
3. While sitting in front of baby, tie the waist straps securely around your waist. Bring the shoulder straps up over your shoulders to the front of your body and pull baby snugly toward your back.
4. With one hand supporting baby’s weight and the other hand holding the shoulder straps, stand up.
5. You can cross the straps in front of your body . . . 6. . . . or you can bring the straps straight down in front of your shoulders toward the back of your body.
6. or you can bring the straps straight down in front of your shoulders toward the back of your body.
7. Cross the straps under baby’s bum and bring them under her legs and back around to the front of your body
8. Tie the straps in a double knot.
9. The straps should be tied across the side openings of the carrier, for security. Baby should be sitting above your waist, close to your body.
When wearing a baby on your back, the most secure position for the fabric is pulled up to the armpits (arms out) or neck (arms in), depending upon the mood of your baby. A baby carrier is not meant to be a safety restraint in the car or airplane. Always be aware of your baby’s position in the Mei Tai. Do not use the carrier with an uncooperative child.